This release includes several enhancements and new features. (1) The RETE core of Bossam is redesigned and it shows a significant improvement. (2) A more elaborated and advanced OWL reasoner, OwlDlTrMReasoner, is added. This reasoner performs OWL reasoning based on elaborated translation and meta-rules. It covers a lot more of OWL reasoning than OwlDlTrHReasoner. Performance measures against famous ontologies and LUBM will soon be posted. (3) It’s possible to assert a rule at the head of rules. These rules, called rule-generating rules (RGR), enable writing more complex & dynamic knowledge and optimizing knowledge structure and performance.
Binary download is available at: http://projects.semwebcentral.org/projects/bossam/
A new Bossam release is planned on Feb. 5, 2007.
The new release will include better OWL DL reasoning supports:
- Enhanced coverage on classification based on boolean compositions of classes
- Enhanced coverage on classification based on nominals (
Also, a new rule construct is introduced: rule-generating rules (RGR). With RGR, it’s possible to assert a rule at the consequent as shown below.
rule r is
if causality(?cause, ?result)
assert if ?cause then ?result;
RGR will help representing more complex knowledge and optimizing knowledge structure!
Also on performance-side, the RETE core of Bossam is well optimized and it gives a lot better performance than before!
Now, big improvements in performance. With newly added reasoners for OWL reasoning, OwlDlTrHReasoner, resonable performance measures are obtained. Refer to the preliminary LUBM benchmark results. Also, this release includes a feature to present the derivation tree for conclusions. Please refer to the short explanations on explanation.
Highlights for Bossam 0.9b40 Release
- New Reasoners:
SwrlRdfTrHReasonerare OWL and SWRL reasoners respectively. These reasoners provide better performance than previous reasoners e.g.
load owltrto utilize the new
OwlDlTrHReasonerin Bossam shell!
- Explanation: It’s now possible to print out the derivation tree of a derived facts. Please refer to an explanation on the explanation feature.
- Derived facts with blank nodes now do not appear in the conclusions! It provides more compact view on the conclusions.
- Several bug-fixes as always…
Notes for the Bossam users!
Highly regarded Bossam users! Please note the following guides!
- You should always use
bossam.app.ReasonerFactoryto create reasoner instances. Creators of reasoner classes are now protected so you cannot directly create instances of reasoner classes.
- You should create an OWL reasoner to load OWL documents, and a SWRL reasoner to load SWRL documents. You cannot load OWL or SWRL documents with the default reasoner created by
IReasonerFactory.createOwlDlTrHReasoner()for better OWL reasoning performance!
- Query performance is better optimized for this release. Try querying.
Thank you so much for using Bossam!
The RETE core is refactored for performance improvements. Generally, this release is *three times* faster than the previous release. Also, some SWRL/RDF processing bugs are fixed, and this release runs on J2ME CDC/PP platform as well as J2SE platforms of JDK 1.3 or later. Download at http://projects.semwebcentral.org/projects/bossam/